So the other night I was fixing bacon for dinner, baking it in the oven, and I realized a few pieces would have to go on a separate cookie sheet. I figured that since they were on their own sheet I could do a little something different, so I decided to try my hand at candied bacon. Having never candied bacon before, I didn’t know what to expect, and though desecrating bacon is tantamount to sacrilege I decided to try it any ways and I’m glad I did.
This is just my first attempt and by no means a perfected recipe but it will give you an idea how simple it really is. I cannot recommend highly enough that you try it for yourself.
- Bacon (I only used a few pieces)
- Brown sugar (I used too much)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Layout bacon on parchment paper with one hand and sprinkle brown sugar on it with the other, flipping to get a light dusting on both sides.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, being careful not to burn
- Let cool for 5-10 before serving
- Again, this is just the initial recipe so changes will be coming, probably even to baking time and temp
- A lot of recipes suggest using a combination of brown sugar, rice vinegar and maple syrup, but again I went simple the first time out
- Other recipes also suggest adding salt, pepper (black or cayenne), cumin or even nuts. I might have to try some/all of these next time.